Find Your New Scent
Find Your New Scent
Glamour Magazine May 2010 issue had a terrific article featuring 30 new fragrances categorized for Work, for a Date, and for the Weekend. Their perfume testers sniffed an array of scents and the article showcases their top picks. Included are several new perfumes found at your local fragrance counters. Some celebrity perfumes and celebrity endorsed scents made the cut. Plus - Rules for perfume buying!
Excerpts from a fragrance editorial by Baze Mpinja, Find Your New Scent.
For Work Fragrances
In the "For Work" category we found Vera Wang Glam Princess eau de toilette spray (spokesmodel actress Zoe Kravitz), Lancome Tresor eau de parfum spray (spokesmodel actress Kate Winslet), and Eva Longoria's debut celebrity fragrance Eva by Eva Longoria by Falic Fashion Group. See the complete list below:
- Pretty Elizabeth Arden eau de cologne splash ($45, elizabetharden.com)
- Vera Wang Glam Princess eau de toilette ($72 for 3.4 oz., sephora.com)
- Victoria's Secret Heavenly Flowers eau de parfum ($49, victoriassecret.com)
- Lancome Tresor eau de parfum spray ($63 for 1.7 oz., lancome-usa.com)
- True Religion for Women eau de parfum ($79 for 3.4 oz., macys.com)
- CH Garden Party by Carolina Herrera ($90, nordstrom.com)
- Burberry Sport for Women eau de toilette ($78 for 2.5 oz., nordstrom.com)
- Prada Infusion de Tubereuse ($135 for 6.75 oz., neimanmarcus.com)
- Bulgari Blu Eau d'Ete ($62 for 1.7 oz., sephora.com)
- Eva by Eva Longoria ($58 for 3.4 oz., dillards.com)
For a Date Fragrances
The "For a Date" class featured four celebrity pefumes. Halle Berry's quietly launch Halle Pure Orchid, her follow-up fragrance to Halle by Halle Berry. SJP NYC eau de toilette spray from Sarah Jessica Parker, her alter-ego inspired scent, Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City. Two debut celebrity scents in the mix were from TV personality Kim Kardashian's Kim Kardashian perfume, and Sasha Fierce's record breaking hit Beyonce Heat perfume. See the complete list below:
- Kim Kardashian ($65 for 3.4 oz., sephora.com)
- Ralph Lauren Romance Summer Romance ($78, macys.com)
- Armani Code Summer ($70, giorgioarmanibeauty.com)
- Alien Sunessence Sun Sapphire by Thierry Mugler ($80, thierrymugler.com)
- Pure Orchid by Halle Berry ($28 for 1 oz., kohls.com)
- SJP NYC eau de toilette spray ($49 for 2 oz., macys.com)
- Versace Versus eau de toilette ($79 for 3.4 oz., nordstrom.com)
- Dior Miss Dior Cherie eau de toilette ($82 for 3.4 oz., sephora.com)
- Beyonce Heat ($49 for 1.7 oz., macys.com)
- Van Cleef & Arpels Oriens eau de parfum ($150 for 3.4 oz., neimanmarcus.com)
For the Weekend Fragrances
The "For the Weekend" grouping features the perfumes of Givenchy Ange ou Demon Le Secret, fronted by actress Uma Thurman, and Eternal Magic by Avon fronted by Avatar actress Zoe Saldana. Also in the mix was comeback-kid Britney Spears with her latest addition to the Fantasy perfume series, Circus Fantasy, from Elizabeth Arden eau de parfum. See the complete list below:
- Circus Fantasy Britney Spears eau de parfum ($55 for 3.3 oz., Walmart)
- YSL Parisienne eau de parfum ($39 for 1 oz., yslbeautyus.com)
- Narciso Rodriguez for Her Iridescent Fragrance ($78 for 3.3 oz., saks.com)
- DKNY Delicious Sweet Caramel Candy Apple ($55, macys.com)
- Balenciaga Paris eau de parfum ($95 for 1.7 oz., neimanmarcus.com)
- Givenchy Ange ou Demon Le Secret ($95 for 3.3 oz., givenchybeauty.com)
- Chanel Chance Eau Tendre eau de toilette ($90 for 3.4 oz., chanel.com)
- Avon Eternal Magic eau de parfum ($23, avon.com)
- Cartier Les Heures de Parfum X L'heure Folle ($250, saks.com)
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue eau de toilette ($85 for 3.3 oz., sephora.com)
5 Smart Rules for Buying Perfume
- Browse in the morning. "That's when your senses are most alert," says Franco Wright, co-owner of luckyscents.com.
- Before you judge a scent, "let it linger on your skin for 15 minutes," says Patricia Saxby, vice president of fragrance at Bergdorf Goodman.
- To make sure you love a perfume, try it more than once. Take home a sample for resniffing.
- For good deals, shop during holidays (Mother's Day counts!). "That's when you can find value sets," says Saxby.
- If your favorite scent has been discontinued, call the brand directly. They may be able to find extra stock.
(Mpinja, Baze. "Find Your New Scent." Glamour May 2010: 238-241.)